Because Latch Link is installed with VHB, removing the Latch Link will require certain tools and procedures. These instructions have been provided by 3M, the manufacturer of the VHB tape utilized.
Tools needed before getting started:
- Flat blade screwdriver, putty knife or ice scraper
- Plastic scraper, Box cutter, or razor blade
- 3M Adhesive Remover (citrus base) or Goo-Gone adhesive remover
- Clean towels
- Heat up the adhesive as much as possible: Set the hairdryer to max heat while aiming the hairdryer towards a tape edge(between the wall and the device) for 90 seconds.
- Remove the device form the wall: While wearing gloves, begin pulling the device out from the wall gently. The adhesive will gradually begin to split apart/pull away from the wall.
- Continue pulling slowly, the adhesive will begin to separate more and more until the device is fully removed from the wall. If you’re having trouble with this step, repeat step one (reheat the adhesive) and try again.
- In addition to heating and stretching the adhesive, you can use a box cutter or razor blade to cut through the adhesive while continuously pulling the shelf away from the wall.
- Clean the wall surface: After the device is removed, use citrus-based 3M Adhesive Remover or Goo-Gone to soften any remaining adhesive residue.
- Use a plastic scraper (or a razor blade for very flat surfaces) and a clean towel to help remove the remaining residue. You may need to repeat step three a few times (spraying, soaking, scraping, and wiping) to completely remove the adhesive residue.